Friday, November 12, 2010

Correspondence

As part of training, we get regular (usually three times daily) updates from our coach, via email. Now granted that there are about about 35 novices in the group, the mailing list is still being sent out to near two hundred people, so obviously there are lots of people who don't row, yet they are still being inundated by Neal's emails.

Last week, there was a rather amusing incident when I emailed everybody on the mailing list about hiring tuxedoes for next week's Boat Ball. When I found this response in my inbox, I was both puzzled and delighted at the hilarity of the situation.

Here was the original mail:

From: MJB
To: Novices mailing list

Hi guys

For anyone considering going to the Boat Ball, I just checked the rates with the place that I get my tuxes from.

They will do a group rate of €49.50 when there is a group of ten people or more. The normal hire rate for a tux is €75.00, so it's a good deal if there's a group of guys who want to hire tuxedoes.

The place is Aston Formalwear, in Temple Bar; so it's in Temple Bar around the corner from O'Connell Bridge, about three minutes away from Front Arch.

Anyway, it's an idea worth considering.

Regards

MJB

To which this reply came:

From: Cameron Kenny
To: Neal, MJB

Hi. can you all please delete me from your mailing lists? I keep trying to block one sender, and then someone else on this enormous contact list e-mails me again.

I'm a woman living in Montana. Please stop e-mailing me! :-) Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

At which point, I couldn't but respond:

From: MJB
To: Cameron Kenny

Hi Cameron

Are you sure you don't want to rent a tux?

Regards

MJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free speech. While stocks last.