Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fiona Shaw: What could I do? Should I do?


Fiona Shaw was interviewed in G2 during the week. I've just found it now, littering my desk, as a approach study. I'm a big fan of Fiona, having watched My Left Foot about eighty times in secondary school. I caught her in the Abbey two years ago for Beckett's Happy Days, which was an amazing production.

Two of her answers struck me. When asked what was the best piece of advice she was ever given, she said:

I do think often of that phrase from Samuel Beckett: "Fail again. Fail better." I gives you permission to do both.

And then picture this in terms of her most embarrassing moment on stage:

During a performance of London Assurance at the National, my bracelet got caught in my hair. [Actor] Simon Russell Beale tried very hard to unpict it, but I had to dance offstage with my hand stuck to my head.

Also, I'm delighted to see that she's a Philosophy graduate from Cork. Just goes to show that dreams can be followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free speech. While stocks last.