Monday, September 13, 2010

Good Morning Dublin!

You may remember some time ago, that there was a small outbreak of furore over Spencer Tunick's photoshoots in Dublin and Cork. More so in Cork actually, which featured hundreds of naked people standing around in the rain at Blarney Castle in the dark, as they waited for dawn in what might have been October last year. Not my idea of fun, but then hypothermia just doesn't do it for me...

Anyway, Tunick was back in the news again recently as, shock! horror! he had taken another photograph of hundreds of naked people standing in front of a famous landmark. This got the cogs churning, and I decided to google the Dublin shoot, as I couldn't remember what the result of it was. And this was the result:


I was delighted to find this; I think it's really interesting. Firstly, it's not a run of the mill landmark, like the Sydney Opera house, which frankly, is just a bit boring. It's one of my favourite and least well known places in Dublin - the Great South Wall; four miles of granite that stretches into Dublin Bay and creates Dublin Port. It's lovely to see a place that is dear to me immortalized.

Secondly I love the way the the naked crowd vanishes into nothing as it winds its way out towards the Poolbeg Lighthouse. It both gives an idea of the size of the South Wall and the amount of naked people who appeared to freeze their tits off for the dawning of the day.

And thirdly, and most importantly, I love that the Irish Ferries Ulysses is lurking on the horizon and is about to enter the port. One can only imagine the announcement that the captain made from the bridge that morning. "Good morning ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking..."

1 comment:

Free speech. While stocks last.